Monday, March 31, 2014

March Progress Report for the A59 car

The first rally of the season is coming up fast, and so the team has been working hard to get all the needed jobs done in time for the first competition in Lincoln. First, the newly fabricated brake pedal, cables, and light switch have been installed and properly adjusted. Extra time had to be taken to alter the brake cable bracket since where the cables were in the bracket didn't match where they needed to be attached to the pedal itself. Also, the team has been putting together the written documentation for the project.

Next, the team replaced the paneling underneath the car to make sure the air flow will be as smooth as possible. They also ground the newly welded frame members to make sure they matched the original body lines, and that there were no sharp burrs or edges. With the nose now 7 inches longer, ground clearance was a concern, so the guys added spacers to the front axle to raise the front end of the car 1/4".

Lastly, the team has finalized their new car graphics designs and submitted them to a local sponsor who will print them out and apply the vinyl onto the newly cut side panels.

Friday, February 28, 2014

February Progress Report for A59 car

In the month of February the team completed several important tasks that will hopefully improve our car for the advanced class competitions. First, we finished altering the frame to account for taller drivers.

By adding 6 inches to the front of the car, our drivers will be more comfortable and the space will allow better braking power with our newly designed brake pedal. We designed the brake pedal similar to a go-kart style to save space for our feet.. We also started the development of our promotional video. The guys have been busy discussing the topics to cover during the video. Lastly, with the car being apart we started re-foaming the roll cage to make the car safer for the driver, as well as cutting new side panels to cover the extra length of the frame. We are also getting a new hood formed since our last one was destroyed due to high winds.

Friday, January 31, 2014

January Progress Report for the A59 Car

Up until this point we have been working on a number of things. First, as school got started, we worked on lining up sponsors to help fund the new season. We are very appreciative of the generous support of the local businesses who have supported us this year and in the past.

Next we had to decide as a team, what changes we would make to the old car. There were a lot of ideas, but we picked, remaking the brake pedal so we would have improved stopping power, and lengthening the front end of the car so our taller drivers could fit.

So far the new brake pedal has been machined and is ready, but we need to finish adding the extension onto the car so we can attach the new pedal in the right spot.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Week of September 16th

Due to scheduling, we had a shortened workweek. Working only Monday, Thursday, and Friday, the team worked on a new brake pedal for the A59 car. We also continued our search for parts on the new S53 including a steering wheel, rack and pinion steering system, and an extra racing helmet. We are also in the process of designing the front and rear axles for the S53 car.

Friday, August 23, 2013

week 2

We've completed our first full week after school started and the team has been working hard on our new car design. The new car frame and body has already been designed and it will be small enough to handle tight corners easily while the rest of the team works on finding parts that are needed to start building. We believe that our new car design will be something that hasn't been done in powerdrive for many years.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April Progress Report for the S59 car

In April we traveled to 3 rallies. The first in Lincoln where the car preformed very well, logging 52 laps even in spite of not having the tail section of the car done. Next we went to Hastings where we had our tail done and the car performed much better going 24 miles and running out of power right at the end of the race as we'd hoped. Last, we went to the new track in Grand Island where we finished with 32 laps and plenty of power left again. It was also our third straight top 10 finish in the Standard class.

Last week we took time to practice our maneuverability and braking. It was a good thing we did this early on, because while running through the cones we broke a piece of our steering arm that held the brake in place. We got the car back to the shop and found that the brake plate that holds the brake shoes was too close to the axle, and smashed into the wheel when we turned right really hard. This locked up the left front wheel and broke the part. We had to spend the next day repairing that wheel. Afterwards, during a testing run to see if the car was back to normal, our hood blew off in the wind and we had to quickly form a replacement for the Championship rally.

Finally, this week we completed our front nose cone using vacuum formed plastic. We cut out a mold using foam, covered it in plaster then sanded it very smooth. Next we heated polystyrene plastic using our heater and formed the nose. It will hopefully help get us a few more laps when its installed on the car.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Big Red Invitational Highlights

Check out some great footage we took of Heat 2 at the Big Red Invitational in Lincoln, NE: